What to Know
- Desktop GIMP: Copy image. File > New. Advanced Options > X and Y= 300. Image > Canvas Size > set size, then paste and scale image.
- macOS X Preview: Right-click image file > Open with > Preview. Select Markup icon > Adjust Size icon > set width > OK.
- Image Size for iPhone: Set width > Done. Pinch and zoom to check quality. Ensure Quality slider is 100%.
This article explains how to increase the resolution of an image using desktop GIMP 2.0, macOS X Preview ( macOS 10.3 or belated ), and Image Size ( io 9.0 or late ) .
Principles of Making a picture Higher resolution
resolving power correlates to the phone number of pixels in a digital photograph or image. The more pixels there are, the higher the effigy ‘s resolution.
To improve a visualize ‘s resolving power, increase its size, then make indisputable it has the optimum pixel concentration. The leave is a larger image, but it may look less sharp than the original visualize. The bigger you make an image, the more you ‘ll see a difference in asperity. This process makes the picture larger and adds pixels, not more detail .
As a rule of flick, 300 pixels-per-inch is the accept standard for print images. To mitigate the loss of acuteness, follow these tips :
- Avoid a significant increase in size: All images are different. When you increase the dimensions by more than 30 percent or 40 percent, you’ll likely notice a loss of sharpness.
- Use sharpen tools when available: GIMP and Photoshop include features for sharpening images. However, not all apps have these tools. The final effect can seem unnatural, so use sharpen tools sparingly to retain a similar look to the original picture.
How to Make High-Resolution Images using Desktop GIMP
GIMP is a free, open-source image editing tool available for Windows, macOS, and Linux. It offers broad documentation for a master of ceremonies of picture formats, making it ideal for this kind of task .
here ‘s how to improve trope settlement with GIMP :
- open GIMP .
Select File > Open .
In the Open Image dialogue box, choose the image and blue-ribbon Open .
- Make sure the image window is the active windowpane .
- Press Ctrl + A ( Windows ) or Command + A ( Mac ) to select the whole image .
- Press Ctrl + C or Command + C to copy the image .
To create a higher resolution transcript, choice File > New to open the Create a New Image dialogue box .
To ensure the concluding picture has a resolution of 300 pixels-per-inch, choose Advanced Options .
The pre-filled width and height match the current effigy. Do n’t change these values .
The dialogue box expands, revealing the adam and Y resolutions for the double. The boxes may show the canvas tent is set to 300. If it is not, adjust the X and Y values to 300, then choose OK .
- You now have a new image window which has the lapp dimensions as the original photograph .
Select the window for the new picture, then select Image > Canvas Size .
The Set Image Canvas Size dialogue box opens. This is where you ‘ll adjust the canvas size .
Before you adjust the canvas width or altitude, make sure that the chain icon to the correct of both measurements is locked .
Enter the newfangled image width, then press Tab. The acme mechanically adjusts to match the persona scale. This example goes from equitable over 4000 pixels to 6000 pixels .
Be indisputable to remember or jot down your raw dimensions. You ‘ll need these again late .
Select Resize .
In the newly prototype window, press Ctrl + V or Command + V to paste the trope .
Drag the corner of the visualize window ( and zoom out if necessary ) to see all corners of the resize canvas. The persona is pasted in the center of the new picture window at its original size .
To make the paste image amply cover the raw poll size, go to the Layers dialogue and choose Floating Selection (Pasted Layer) if it is n’t selected .
Go to the Toolbox dialogue and select the Scale tool .
Select the glue persona. A scale guide and the Scale dialogue box appear. In the Scale dialogue box, ensure the chain picture is locked, then enter the lapp width rate you used in tone 13 .
You ‘ll see a preview of what the resize persona will look like. If it looks good, choose Scale.
The effigy is resampled at the newer size .
Before exporting the trope, check the quality of it by zooming in. To do this, blue-ribbon View > Zoom, then choose a soar floor .
When you ‘re happy with the resultant role, go to the Layers dialogue, right-click Floating Selection (Pasted Layer), then select Anchor Layer to lock it to the background .
To export your double, choose File > Export .
This opens the Export Image dialogue box. Choose where you want to save the resize picture and name it. then choice Export .
When naming an prototype, you can besides set the file type by typing the extension. For example, call the double new_photo.png to save it as a PNG file, or name it new_photo.jpg to save it as a JPEG .
The Export Image as dialogue box appears, offering settings for the write photograph. To get the best image quality, move the Compression Level slider to zero, then choice Export .
How to Increase the Resolution of an Image using macOS X Preview
Preview is a useful tool for viewing photos and PDFs on your Mac, and it includes some handy visualize edit tools .
Locate the double file, then right-click it and select Open with > Preview .
Select the Markup Toolbar icon .
Select the Adjust Size picture .
Adjust the width to the desire amount, then choice OK. This example resizes a photograph from a width of 1000 pixels to 1300 pixels .
see the lock icon is closed and Resample Image is selected .
The image resizes. Select File > Save to overwrite the master prototype or File > Export to save it as a new file .
How to Increase the Resolution of an image using Image Size for iPhone
image Size for io is a photograph editing tool that besides lets you resize images. It ‘s free, but you can choose to pay if you want to remove ads .
- install and open Image Size .
- Tap the independent white box. Select OK to grant the app access to your photos, then select the white corner once more to open the effigy picker .
Select the image you want to resize .
- Select Choose to open the image .
- Select the chain picture to lock the Width and Height values .
Set your hope Width value, then choice Done. This example scales the effigy up to 6000 pixels. The Height value automatically adjusts ampere well .
- The photograph resamples at the raw size. You can pinch and zoom to check the pixel timbre .
Select the gear picture to view extra options. Ensure the Output Quality luger is at 100 percentage .
- If you intend to print the trope, smooth out the pixelation. To do this, select the + icon to increase the Print size correction factor, then select the back arrow to return to the main page .
To save the final examination image, select the save arrow .