If you ‘re a personal computer game, Steam — Valve ‘s digital gambling distribution service — has an extensive library of games to check out. Unlike game subscription services ( Apple Arcade, Google Play Pass ), you can purchase individual games on steam without a monthly commitment. With its no-strings-attached approach path and a frequent schedule of sales, Steam makes it easy for gamers to build up ample gambling libraries. Another fringe benefit of the serve ? Steam Family Sharing lets you share your plot library with others. even though this feature is aimed at helping parents distribute and monitor what their kids dally, it besides lets you lend games you like to your friends. here ‘s a bit-by-bit guide on how to parcel your Steam library.
Protect your account by enabling Steam Guard
Safe-guarding your game library is precedence. This room, even if you share your account, everything will still be protected and within your control condition. For this to happen, you need to enable Steam Guard. Steam Guard — which is free to turn on — provides an extra flat of security that protects your account from unauthorized access . Brett Pearce/CNET here ‘s how to enable Steam Guard on your report with the background app or in browser : 1. Go to Steam ‘s home page and make indisputable you ‘re logged in. 2. In the upper correct corner, click your username.
3. In the drop-down menu, click Account Details. 4. Scroll down to Account Security and chatter Manage Steam Guard . Screenshot by Shelby Brown/CNET From there, you can choose between having Steam Guard codes sent to your call, e-mail or turning Steam Guard off entirely. You ‘ll besides see the choice to deauthorize all other computers or devices other than the one you ‘re presently using that might have saved your login information. Steam recommends sending Guard codes to your earphone as a form of two-factor authentication . Screenshot by Shelby Brown/CNET
Log into your kin member or friend ‘s calculator with your steam account to get started. You can do this from your app, here ‘s how :
1. In the top leave corner, click Steam. 2. Select Preferences from the drop-down menu . 3. Select Family in the side menu 4. Click the box that says Authorize Library Sharing on this computer . Screenshot by Shelby Brown/CNET This gives you the option to authorize any accounts that have besides logged into the like calculator. If no one else has, you ‘ll get a message saying “ No other local anesthetic accounts found. ” After this is complete, log out of your account and your friend or syndicate penis can log back into theirs. They should now have the ability to download and install choose games from your library. You can select up to five users who can access and use your library across 10 devices that you ‘ve authorized. While you ca n’t set up Family Sharing in browser, you can check which devices and accounts have access to your Steam Library. You can besides revoke access. here ‘s how to check on browser : 1. Go to Steam ‘s home page and make certain you ‘re logged in. 2. In the upper right recess, click your username. 3. In the drop-down menu, suction stop Account Details. 4. Scroll toss off to Family Settings and pawl Manage Family Library Sharing.
5. If any accounts or devices have access that you no longer wish to, you can click Revoke under Sharing Status.
Pros of sharing your gaming library with Steam Family Sharing
- Sharing your games with others.
- Being able to try out games when your family or friends share their account with you.
- Parents can have a bit more control over games their younger children may play.
- Easy to view and revoke access to who has access to your library.
- Gives the user you’re sharing with a chance to try a game without investing money right away.
Cons of sharing your gaming library with Steam Family Sharing
- Steam’s sharing features aren’t perfect.
- Only five accounts can access your gaming library from up to 10 different computers.
- You need an internet connection to access the shared libraries.
- Libraries can only be shared in their entirety.
- Some games don’t qualify for sharing because they require a subscription.
- Shared games can only be accessed by one person at a time, so you won’t be able to easily play games together.
- The account holder has priority access to their games. If you start playing a game while another person is already playing, they’ll have the option to buy the game or end the session.