- 1 General
- 2 Features
- 3 Troubleshooting
- 4 Glossary
What is mGBA?
mGBA is a newly generation of Game Boy Advance copycat. The project started in April 2013 with the goal of being fast adequate to run on lower end hardware than early emulators corroborate, without sacrificing accuracy or portability. even in the initial version, games generally played without problems. mGBA has only gotten better since then, and immediately boasts being the most accurate GBA copycat around .
far along in development mGBA gained Game Boy patronize and finally is planned to have DS support besides. early goals include accurate enough emulation to provide a growth environment for home brew software, a good work flow for tool-assist runners, and a modern feature set for emulators that older emulators may not support .
What are the system requirements for mGBA?
mGBA will run on largely any computer from the last decade, a well as respective extra platforms :
- Windows (Vista or newer)
- Nintendo 3DS (New 3DS is required for GBA games)
- Nintendo Switch
- PlayStation Vita
If you wish to run mGBA on Windows XP or other systems that RetroArch runs on please use the libretro core alternatively. Please note that the libretro core is not always in synchronize with the standalone translation and may have issues nobelium longer present upriver.
What does the m stand for?
It doesn ’ thyroxine. mGBA was originally going to be named miniGBA but as the project grew the “ miniskirt ” appellation became less accurate. The name was intended to be irregular, but as the original release crept closer I couldn ’ thyroxine think of any better names. other working names for mGBA included GBAc and Gerboa, but nothing else stuck .
How do I file a bug?
The best way is to sign up an account on GitHub and post on the issue tracker. If you ’ re using 0.9.0 or newer on personal computer please use the built-in wiretap report instrument to generate a travel rapidly file to attach to the report. otherwise, please include the version you ’ re using ( including the numbers and letters, if you ’ re using a exploitation physique ), what OS you ’ rhenium running on, and the names of games affected .
What is the license for mGBA?
mGBA is licensed under the Mozilla Public License 2.0, and the code can be found on GitHub .
How do I compile mGBA?
Please see the README for detail information .
How good is compatibility?
mGBA emulates two platforms presently, with the work-in-progress medusa interpretation supporting a third gear :
- Game Boy Advance emulation is currently very good. There are known bugs and a small handful of games that don’t boot.
- Game Boy/Game Boy Color emulation is good. Most games work but there are still plenty of bugs. Please file a bug if you find a game that doesn’t boot.
- DS support is very early and only available in the medusa branch, which is not under active development at the moment.
stream bugs can be found on GitHub for GBA, GB/C and DS
What peripherals and cartridge types does mGBA support?
Please see the README for current status, but most GBA peripherals are supported :
Read more: PPSSPP Gold
- Rumble (cartridge and Game Boy Player)
- Rotation/tilt (accelerometer and gyroscope)
- Solar sensor (for Boktai)
- Realtime clock
- Link cable (partial support)
- BattleChip Gate (for Mega Man Battle Network)
And some GB peripherals and special cartridge types are supported :
- Tilt (MBC7)
- Realtime clock
- Game Boy Printer
- Game Boy Camera (partial support)
- Super Game Boy (partial support)
- MBC6 (partial support)
- MMM01 (partial support)
- TAMA5 (partial support)
- HuC-1 (partial support)
- HuC-3 (partial support)
The following are not supported at the time :
- Wireless Adapter
- IR Adapter (for Zoids: Cyberdrive)
- Soul Adapter (for Legendz)
On loading a game I only get a white screen
Try changing the sound recording driver in settings. If all else fails go on Sync to video and off Sync to audio .
On loading a game I get a black screen or upside down image
Change the display driver from OpenGL to OpenGL ( Force 1.x ) or Software .
mGBA has issues with my controller
At this fourth dimension mGBA ’ s control digest is lackluster. Improvements are planned but if using a restrainer is your utmost concern you may want to use the libretro core alternatively .
I did something and now the game always runs too fast!
Make certain Fast advancing is unbridled under emulation and at least one of Sync to audio or Sync to video is checked. I recommend Sync to audio only.
Read more: Game Gear
Gameplay or audio is stuttery
Try adjusting your synchronize settings ( Sync to audio lone is recommended ) or your sound recording buffer settings. sometimes switching the audio driver besides helps .
Audio isn’t working in the 3DS version
current versions of mGBA for 3DS require the DSP spot to be dumped for audio to work. There are versatile utilities available on-line to do this, such as DSP1 or DspDump .
mGBA ’ sulfur development uses some project-specific names for things that may be confusing. here ’ s a number of the most common ones :
- CInema: A suite of automated regression tests of video output, akin to Dolphin’s fifoci
- Input revamp: Upcoming rewrite of the input and controller mapping, meant to improve many of the fundamental issues present
- medusa: mGBA’s upcoming DS support
- mGUI: The UI used on all the homebrew ports
- mGUI2: mGBA’s upcoming enhanced homebrew UI
- mNP: mGBA’s upcoming netplay support and link cable rewrite
- Orca: Upcoming mGBA/Dolphin integration for GBA link and GB Player
- XQ audio: High-level mixing of the MP2k (Music Player 2000, sometimes erroneously called M4A or Sappy) audio engine for higher quality audio