) (control /name microsoft.easeofaccesscenter)
( Renamed “ Ease of Access Center ” in Windows Vista and subsequently )
Reading: Control Panel (Windows) – Flickroom
- The behavior of the keyboard can be modified, this is aimed at people who have difficulty pressing key-combinations, or pressing a key just once. (StickyKeys, FilterKeys and ToggleKeys)
- Behavior of sounds can be modified. (SoundSentry and ShowSounds)
- High contrast mode can be activated.
- The keyboard cursor can be customized.
- The pointer can be controlled using the keyboard. (MouseKeys)
note that in the adjacent generation of Windows, the Ease of Access control panel superseded the dim-witted access.cpl operate jury in former versions .
( Renamed “ Programs and Features ” in Windows Vista and later )
- Allows users to uninstall and change existing software packages, as well as indicating how much space individual programs take and how frequently they are used.
- Allows users to manually install software from a CD-ROM or Floppy Disk, and install add-ons from Windows Update.
- Allows users to change which Windows components are installed, via the Windows setup Wizard, which includes Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player and Windows Messenger
- Finally, it allows users to specify the default applications for certain tasks, via the ‘set program access and defaults’ wizard, such as internet browsers, media players and email programs and whether access to these programs is available (since Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 3 and Windows XP Service Pack 1)
( Renamed “ Personalization ” in Windows Vista, 7 and 8.1 )
- Allows users to change the desktop background (wallpaper) to a picture of their choice and specifies how it should be shown.
- Allows the user to change or disable the screensaver, and specify how long it takes to activate and whether to ask for a password on resume
- Allows the user to specify the color styles of all elements within the system, primarily whether to use the Windows XP / Vista styles (blue by default in XP) or to use the classic Windows 98 / Me styles, this also allows the user to change the My Computer and Recycle Bin icons.
- Allows the user to change the screen resolution and colour quality, and provides trouble shooting advice for displays.
Removed in Windows 10 and moved to Settings App .
- General – This specifies the homepage and color schemes and allows the user to delete internet usage history.
- Security & Privacy – These specify whether the computer should allow websites to undertake certain processes and download cookies, this panel also gives access to the inbuilt pop-up blocker (Windows XP SP2 and later) and the phishing controls (Internet Explorer 7).
- Content – Allows the parental controls and auto-complete to be configured and also specifies how to deal with certificates.
- Connections, Programs and Advanced – These give access to other aspects of internet settings such as the default modem connection and email client, proxy settings and other advanced configurations.
) (control /name microsoft.gamecontrollers)
Moved to Settings app on Windows 10 Anniversary Update .
- Specify how long it takes to switch off the display and hard drives and how long it takes for the system to enter standby, if at all.
- To decide what to do when the computer’s on/off button is pressed, such as whether to shut down or to enter standby.
- Whether to allow Hibernation (some systems become unstable when restarting).
- Allows the user to configure UPS (if available).
- Since Windows Vista, additional hidden power options are available for fine tuning power features.
- Firstly, it shows all the jobs queued for each printer, the file size and status of each job and which user they belong to, it also allows each job to be paused, canceled or moved up or down the list.
- Secondly, it allows the user to set the printing or faxing preferences, such as paper size and quality via the manufacturers own preferences pane and also specifies how to share the printer across a computer network, the device drivers, ports etc.
- The way numbers are displayed (e.g. decimal separator).
- How Currency values are displayed, including the currency symbol.
- Time and date notations, such as the date separator and whether the clock should be in 12 or 24 hours.
- Cultural location of the user’s computer (The time zone is set in Date and Time).
- Input language.
- Keyboard layout (mapping between key strokes and characters).
- Display language for Menus and Dialog Boxes.
- Whether files necessary for Asiatic language support must be installed.
- Installed code pages.
Removed in Windows 10 April Update
Renamed “ Security & Maintenance ” in Windows 10
- Change the speaker volume and type and specify whether to show the volume icon in the notification area.
- Change the sounds played for the system or specific programs when a certain event occurs, i.e. Windows Startup or Critical Stop.
- Change default devices for music playback, recording, voice recognition, MIDI etc.
- Change the Sound card settings and whether to use Hardware acceleration.
- Display the audio devices installed on the computer, and allows them to be configured.
- The amount of grammatical errors in a person’s voice (punctuality sensitivity).
- The speed at which the person speaks, and the time delay between words.
This besides allows the drug user to entree the voice recognition training ace, in which an individual ‘teaches ‘ the computer to recognize a person voice interactively using the microphone .
- Display general information on the user’s machine such as the amount of RAM, CPU speed and type, the version of Windows the system is using and the manufacturer.
- Edit the computer name in a network workgroup.
- Manage and Configure hardware devices, and view information such as the manufacturer, user access and driver version of any hardware device installed on the system via Device Manager.
- Enable/Disable system features such as automatic updates and System restore monitoring.
- Specify advanced features such as performance logs, virtual memory settings and roaming profiles.
Moved to Settings App on Windows 10, but the shortcut still exists. Clicking on it goes to Settings App .
- Specifies whether to use Windows XP/Vista or Classic 9x/Me styles on the taskbar and start menu.
- Whether the taskbar should Auto-Hide.
- Whether to show the clock in the notification area.
- Allows the user to manage the tray icons.
- Advanced options such as whether to show Printers & Faxes in the start menu and whether to display My Documents as a menu or as a link to a new window.
Moved to Settings App on Windows 10, but the shortcut still exists. Clicking on it goes to Settings App.
Read more: Unix – Flickroom